Tuesday 14 May 2013

A New Chapter

Since I've just made a move to Stornoway and gone freelance, I thought I'd resurrect this blog to record starting out up here. There should be lots of exploring going on in the next few months, so hopefully some good pictures and experiences to share.

After saying goodbye to the Ice Factor team on Friday (yes I really will miss it, most of the time!) I headed straight off up the road to Skye. The forecast didn't look great, but the Polldubh Club had a meet arranged in honour of former club member and meets secretary Mark Phillips so I figured we'd find something to do. In the end, 7 of us opted for a coastal walk round to Coruisk as some of us hadn't been round before and others had always got the boat. We walked in from the layby just up the hill from Elgol, giving us an easy track to walk as far as Camasunary. There was an epic stag party happening at the house near to the bothy there, but we declined to join in! 

The coastal path round from Camasunary to Coruisk is very pretty, and quite rough walking all the way. It is worth noting that the river crossing next to Camasunary to get to it is definitely a wet feet job - I'd consider sticking a light pair of trainers in another time. The infamous Bad Step gave little difficulty in dry conditions and with small packs - I could see how it could get a bit more exciting with a big pack in the wet though! A worthwhile walk on a showery day.

Walking in to Camasunary

Pinnacle Ridge just peeping out in the background

 Blue skies over towards Blaven

 Looking towards Coruisk from the Bad Step

Today I headed out with Sean to look at a coasteering spot near Rhenigidale. I will be working for him at the Scaladale Centre for some of the summer, so it was a chance for me to see a venue, have a chat, sort paperwork etc. Out with a group with them tomorrow - looking forward to it!

Sean chilling in a cave

2 comments:

  1. Thats one hell of a walk in to Coruisk from Elgin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... Oops! Fixed that now...

    ReplyDelete