Tuesday 19 January 2010

Ben day & Ordinary Route

No pics again as I forgot my camera - probably for the best though as I got a proper soaking on both days!

On Saturday I went out on Ben Nevis with Guy who was guiding Stephen for the day. The weather was pretty wild, but Stephen was keen to make the summit and we eventually did - stopping for a brief lunch in the shelter there. Quite a mild day with lots of slushy snow around, freezing level only a couple of hundred metres below the top.

Sunday saw myself and Jamie B heading up into Coire nan Lochan to have a look and see what was in. Jamie was keen on climbing Moonshadow (IV,5) but there were a couple of other teams in the area (including Al and his client for the day) and a lot of spindrift coming down Twisting Gully so he decided that Ordinary Route on Central Buttress (III/IV, 4) would be a better option.

This was my first time on a mixed route of this grade, so Jamie lead the whole route. I was quite glad of the rope above me at times, but really enjoyed the climbing. There's a lot more to think about than with ice routes in terms of variety of techniques you can call on and I'm already keen to go again and learn some more!

Heading out for a couple of walking days tomorrow and Thursday and then hopefully climbing again on Friday before work - and this time I will take my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment